Whole Grains for Good Health
Did you know whole grains help fight disease? It’s true, they’re just as good for your health as fruits and vegetables, and sometimes even better. And it’s not just their fiber content that’s important. Whole grains also have phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that promote good health. Just check out some of these grains and their health helps:
- Amaranth is a tiny grain full of Vitamins E and B. It’s also rich in calcium, phosphorous and iron. It’s an excellent source of complete protein and may help protect against heart disease and cancer.
- Brown Rice has Vitamin E and other antioxidants that help fight eye disease (macular degeneration) and some cancers.
- Corn is the richest source of antioxidants of all grains and has lots of insoluble fiber. It helps fight heart disease and cancer, and may possibly even guard against cataracts.
- Oats and barley has lots of soluble fiber that helps lower blood cholesterol when digested. How it works isn’t known, just that it does.
- Wheat has insoluble fiber which aids digestion. It’s also high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Remember, that’s whole-wheat, not the refined stuff!
So munch up on those whole grains – they’re good health food!