Ways to Have a Healthy Breakfast
We know breakfast is important. It fuels up our body to start the day, helping prevent fatigue, loss of concentration and all manner of annoying consequences. So how do you get yourself in the habit of eating a healthy breakfast?
First off, do just that, make it a habit. If you skip breakfast once, then twice, then before you know it, not eating becomes a habit. A bad habit that’s not good for you. Instead, reinforce a good-for-you habit and eat breakfast every day.
I can hear a lot of you saying, “I don’t have time to make breakfast!” Hogwash. We make time for the things we really want to do, and you need to want a good breakfast. You’re important! Take care of yourself and have a healthy breakfast.
Getting up a little earlier in the morning to fix a quick breakfast is one option, but if the very thought of that makes you moan, try fixing breakfast the night before, using some of these ideas:
- Put some oatmeal in a crockpot,
- Make whole grain pancakes, waffles or French toast, then reheat and top with yogurt, fresh fruit or nuts (NOT a whole bunch of high-sugar syrup),
- Make your own breakfast bars,
- Scramble a bunch of eggs, then reheat a portion for breakfast, or even….
- Leftovers from yesterday’s meals.
Some of those foods can also be prepared over the weekend and stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Other quick-to-fix breakfast ideas are:
- Whole grain toast spread with peanut butter,
- Whole grain cold cereal with milk,
- Hot cereals like oatmeal in the microwave,
- Fruit smoothies with protein powder added, or
- Fruit salad topped with a few nuts, and bran muffin.
It’s best to get some protein in there like eggs, nuts, or whey powder, and to choose foods that are nutrient dense, not laden with sugar or fat.
Think creatively. It doesn’t have to be a traditional breakfast food. Check out the health food store or look in the aisles at your regular grocery store for health food items, check out the produce section, or just anywhere health food abounds. Look for things to eat that you enjoy, are healthy-for-you foods, and easy to fix.
Then every day, every single day, eat a healthy breakfast.