Easy Healthy Desserts From The Healthy Slow Cooker
Looking for an easy healthy dessert? There are several such recipes in the desserts chapter of The Healthy Slow Cooker by Judith Finlayson.
Here’s a sample:
The Ultimate Baked Apples
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons of packed muscovado or evaporated cane juice sugar*
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 8 apples, cored
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- Vanilla flavored yogurt of whipped cream, optional
* Note: Molasses, light or dark brown sugar are acceptable substitutes.
This recipe requires a large oval slow cooker that holds at least 5 quarts.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, cranberries, sugar and orange zest.
- To stuff the apples, hold your hand over the bottom of the apple and use your fingers to tightly pack the core space with the walnut mixture filling, then place in the slow cooker.
- Drizzle cranberry juice evenly over top of the apples.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours, or High for 4 hours, until apples are tender.
- Transfer to a servicing dish and spoon cooking juices over the apples.
Serve hot, with a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream if desired.
There are several easy healthy desserts in this cookbook.