Easy Health Food Snacks
Got the munchies, but looking for something a little healthier than potato chips or a candy bar? Try one of these easy treats!
- Ants on a log – Spread peanut butter on celery sticks and top with raisins.
- Yogurt and cottage cheese – Mix a small carton of yogurt and ¼ to ½ cup of cottage cheese for a nice mix of probiotics and protein.
- Juice Pops – Freeze unsweetened juice in ice pop molds or ice cube trays and keep on hand. Especially nice on hot summer days!
- Fruit and Nuts – Combine about 1/4 cup pieces of fruit like raisins, cherries, apricots or pineapple with about 25 nuts like pistachios, peanuts, almonds, or hazelnuts.
- An apple and cheese – string cheese or half a cup of cottage cheese.
- Whole grain crackers or crisp breads and cheese. 100% whole grain is best!
- 2 cups air popped popcorn (or microwave – NOT the bags, but using something like a Presto PowerPop, NordicWare or other popcorn popper).
I’ve had one for years. The Presto PowerPop Microwave Popper is available online at Amazon (just click on the link), or sometimes you can find them at Walmart or Home Depot.
Be sure to buy plenty of the little paper disks that go in the bottom of the popper. (Hint: The directions say to change the disk every time you pop corn, but I leave mine in there until it’s turning a little brown and brittle without any problem.)
There are easy health food snacks out there. Just think about some things you like that you know are also good for you, and keep them available in your kitchen!